[cmake-developers] ctest parallelism for --repeat-until-failure
Jupp Müller
2018-03-23 16:33:28 UTC

I have a question regarding the behavior of ctest with regard to the --repeat-until-failure option. It seems that this option sequentializes
test execution for single tests in a test suite, while different tests can be run parallel to each other.

Is this the desired behavior? This is causing delays for my test suite, because some long-running tests are sequentialized. Would you be
willing to accept a contribution that changes this? I realize this would be a backwards compatibility issue, because running the same test
in parallel would break some tests, so I'd propose adding a new flag to ctest that would be disabled by default. Maybe
--parallelize-repetitions ?

Thanks,

Jupp Mueller
--
Powered by www.kitware.com

Ben Boeckel
2018-09-04 13:27:03 UTC
Post by Jupp Müller
I have a question regarding the behavior of ctest with regard to the
--repeat-until-failure option. It seems that this option
sequentializes test execution for single tests in a test suite, while
different tests can be run parallel to each other.
Is this the desired behavior? This is causing delays for my test
suite, because some long-running tests are sequentialized. Would you
be willing to accept a contribution that changes this? I realize this
would be a backwards compatibility issue, because running the same
test in parallel would break some tests, so I'd propose adding a new
flag to ctest that would be disabled by default. Maybe
--parallelize-repetitions ?
I'd say that this would be better handled by a test property that marks
tests as `CONCURRENT_WITH_SELF` (feel free to bikeshed on the name).
Many tests which use resources (primarily writing to paths on the
filesystem) are not parameterized over the invokation number of the run.

--Ben